Full course description
This is a 4-week course running from November 2 to November 29. The coursework is self-paced and completely online, but there is an instructor providing feedback on key assignments to help you improve your leadership ability.
Description: First line supervisors directly supervise and coordinate department or unit activities in the day-to-day operation of organizations, helping not just the department or unit, but the whole enterprise run smoothly and efficiently through direct application of administrative and managerial concepts. Their role is essential for creating a positive outcome and experience for customers and employees. This training workshop presents the concepts and skills first line supervisors need to be successful leaders, communicators, and problem solvers. It is customizable by industry and is ideal for those who aspire to first line supervisory positions, as well as to provide upskilling to those who have been in the role for some time. Upon successful completion of the final assessment, workshop participants will earn a certificate from Hodges University in First Line Supervisory Effectiveness.
By the end of the online workshop, participants will be able to:
- Define leadership and recognize the characteristics of a leader.
- Define management and recognize the differences between management and administration.
- Explain and apply leadership styles.
- Examine personal strengths and areas for growth, and create an action plan for self-improvement.
- Apply leadership strategies to help others learn, grow, and take action when necessary.
- Lead others while creating mutual respect and trust.
- Define essential administrative functions and how they apply to the participant’s work.
- Define communication and apply interpersonal communication strategies for the workplace to overcome communication barriers including working with people from different backgrounds and generations.
- Identify and apply good nonverbal communication strategies.
- Identify and use conflict resolution strategies.
- Listen actively and effectively.
If you are interested in other opportunities for the First Line Supervisor workshop online, face-to-face, or to have it customized for a cohort, please email email@example.com.